Citizenship U Make-Up
Citizenship Secretary – Camille Barber
Phone Number– 801-402-8807
Davis School District policy requires students to make-up unsatisfactory “U” citizenship grades prior to graduation. Students are not allowed to graduate or participate in extracurricular activities, including sports, class field trips or assemblies, or purchase a parking pass with deficient citizenship credit. Information regarding what constitutes as a “U” is provided in the teacher’s disclosure the student shall be responsible for checking his or her report card. The fine for receiving a U is $5.00 and is automatically invoiced to the students account. Below are the options available for U make-up.
1. Make up through the teacher prior to the end of the grading period.
a. Citizenship credit may be made up prior the U being recorded on the report card, it the teacher
b. Will provide activities or duties beyond the class requirements for the student to make-up the
c. Unsatisfactory citizenship. This is discretionary to the teacher.
2. Service at Davis High School. 3 hours after school service with a teacher, coach, counselor or administration. Can not be with a coach you are currently playing for.
3. Pre-Approved Community Service Projects 3 hours – See separate list (next page).
4. Online Canvas Class. 5 class modules are offered through canvas. 1 module will clear 1 U if you pass the module. You will need to sign up with Mrs. Barber in the Counseling Center.
5. 2 Hour Citizenship Class or Study Hall. Classes are offered monthly are taught or supervised by a DHS teacher. A minimum of 10 students are required for classes to be held. The fee for the 2-hour class is $5.00 plus the $5.00 fine for the U. Class fee and U fine must be paid in advance. Sign up in the Counseling Center with Mrs. Barber
6. Increase in GPA. One U will be cleared if the student has an increase in GPA of .5 or higher from the previous term. The student is responsible for providing the report to the Citizenship secretary.
7. No U’s in the term immediately following the term the U (s) were received. The student is responsible for providing report card to the Citizenship secretary.
8. Parent/Teacher Conference. Student and parent attend Parent/Teacher Conference together. Student prints progress report and has their teachers initial or sign progress report. Return progress report with signatures to Mrs. Barber in the counseling center, will result in one (1) U make-up.
Service opportunities arise periodically throughout the year and will be announced and advertised as they become available. Classes and service activities sponsored by Davis High will be approved by the administration.
Service rendered with any relative, neighbor, or private business WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED. No church affiliated projects or service will be accepted for U make-up. Scouts may not use Eagle projects or activities to make-up U’s.
Only service rendered at Davis High School will be accepted unless pre-approved by an administrator.
Students are required to get a signed letter from the organization, on the organizations’ letterhead, stating the number of hours worked (3 hours for 1 U) and a brief description of what service was provided. The letter must be signed and include a phone number for verification purposes and shall be turned in the Citizenship office.
The following is a list of approved service establishments.
- Gigi’s Playhouse – www.gigisplayhouse.org/layton/volunteer
- Kaysville City Parks and Recreation – Cole Stephens (801-546-4046)
- Utah Botanical Center – (801-451-3402)
- Davis Arts Council – Edye Wagstaff (801-546-8575) or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Bonneville Shoreline Trail – Barry Burton (801-451-3279)
- Utah State University – Jay Dee Gunnell (801-451-3411
- Safe Harbor Women’s Shelter - (801-444-3191)
- Children’s Justice Center - (801-451-3560)
- Autumn Glow Senior Center – Debbie Draper (801-544-1235)
- Kaysville City Library – Lanette Mills (801-544-2826)
- Utah Food Bank – (801-978-2452)
- Utah House (USU Extension) – Jayne Mulford (801-544-3089)